". . .the word of God is not bound." II Tim. 2:9b

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Welcome

Am I alone?

If you have ever wondered if you are the only Christian teacher trying to honor God while teaching in a public school, I hope this blog will encourage you. The Bible verse near the blog title speaks to me of the sense of spiritual bondage that can go with this territory:
". . .the word of God is not bound." II Tim. 2:9b
While we as teachers are not literally imprisoned like Paul was, our words are to some degree bound. There are laws we have to follow. There are things we can and cannot say. If you have chosen to teach in the public school system, you most likely know and accept these facts. So how can a Christian really be devoted to the service of God and not proclaim Him? Paul assures us that we may be bound, but the Word of God is still free. God doesn't need human authority to move. How you will see this promise fulfilled as you abide by the law of the land may surprise you. Believe that God will accomplish His purpose, even in an environment where red tape is more prevalent than copier misfeeds.

Another verse that has helped me came to me during an important transition in my career. I had been a stay-at-home mom for several years after not being rehired to my teaching job. Being honest with myself, I didn't even know if I ever wanted to teach again. But God didn't see it that way. Without my ever putting out a resume, I found myself preparing for a job interview that fell into my lap. I had been meditating on the Book of Acts, and God seemed to be telling me, "Get ready. I have a job for you."

It had been so long since I had worked full-time that I did not immediately think "job" meant a teaching job. I thought maybe I would be asked to teach Sunday School or start a women's Bible study. My husband was the one seeking full-time work.

Then he called and told me he had just completed his interview at a charter school--and not been hired. "They just hired a history teacher," he said, "but they need an English teacher. I told them to talk to you."

Me, teach high school? I had little experience teaching students above fourth grade. And I would have to pursue a second teaching certificate. And was I really ready to teach again?

In His goodness, God reassured me. The verse He sent was Acts 18:10,
"For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city."
It was a reminder that I would not be the only Christian on staff if I took this job. It proved to be true. I can look back on many times when coworkers, fellow believers, listened to me, prayed with me, and supported me through tough times. I was not alone. Neither are you. God has led you to your present place, and He will lead you when it's time to move on.

I hope you will seek help and encouragement in Christ Jesus for each new day. You are a beacon to a darkening world.

No comments: