". . .the word of God is not bound." II Tim. 2:9b

Monday, July 11, 2016

Narratives of Grace

Narrative is a powerful way of connecting people with people. The best teachers use it to connect students with wisdom and knowledge to encounter their world with confidence. The best writers tell stories to help readers learn about their own journeys and the heroes they could become.

Reading in Luke Chapter 4 this morning, I'm struck once again by the compelling nature of the Gospel story. Jesus, born to a virgin, fulfilling prophecy, teaching his teachers, well-pleasing to His father, refuting the Devil's blasphemies, casting out demons, healing the sick--loves me. That's a story I want to read and share again and again while it is "the favorable year of the Lord" (v. 19).

Even as a public school teacher whose job requires prudence in the matter of living my faith, I know that God will be faithful to bless the opportunities He gives outside of the classroom to witness of God's grace to me. And in the classroom? Faith is the conviction of things not seen (Heb. 11:1). God's power extends beyond the limits of my free speech. When our lips are silent, God still works.

Be faithful to tell your story of grace to those around you with humility and love.


No comments: